Sunday, August 14, 2011

S.I.C. Vol. 54 Kamen Rider Ixa and Dark Kiva Part 1

The knight and the king

After a period of idleness - the longest for this blog in quite a while, ^^; another review series is starting, and after the completion of MG Gundam Mk. II Ver. 2.0, I'm going for something non-Gundam this time. ^^


S.I.C. Vol. 54 Kamen Rider Ixa and Kamen Rider Dark Kiva.

Almost like a continuation of the last S.I.C. review, which was on Kamen Rider Kiva back in early April since these two are from the same TV series. All the designs in "Kamen Rider Kiva" have a heavy Medieval feel to them - thick armors, elaborate engravings and ornaments, rich colors and curvy appearances of the various components. Even the monsters (called Fangire) have really beautiful designs, apart from the "universal" stain glass patterns, some of them carry little sculptures and art work on their body, which is really neat. ^^ When I was watching the series, I was already imagining how well the S.I.C. releases of those characters would be, even without any re-imagining of those design details.

It's really quite a shame that the show didn't create that much impact like its predecessor "Kamen Rider Den-O", or its successor "Kamen Rider Decade" did. With a few Kamen Riders in the show, plus Kamen Rider Kiva's own form change ability, there were only two regular S.I.C. releases, and you're looking at the second set now. ^^;

Just another case of low popularity and dim market prospect overruling design potentials there. Very unfortunate, but very common. ^^;

Anyway, back to this S.I.C. set. As mentioned above, I bought this set because I just love all the designs in "Kamen Rider Kiva". Between the two, I'm more into Kamen Rider Ixa, since it was featured very early on in the show and I really like its "white knight" design. Kamen Rider Dark Kiva's role became important during the period which I didn't manage to finish until now, but I like its color and armor design nonetheless. ^^;

In terms of weapons and accessories, either one of these two features more items than Kamen Rider Kiva, so while the purchase decision for the latter was more on the preference for the character, there are more fun factors in these two, which you will see for yourself in this review anyway. ^^








The figures and most of their accessories can be seen through the box's window.



Designs of the different sides of the box.



Even though the set also contains Kamen Rider Dark Kiva, very little of the box's design reflects him actually. ^^;







Introduction of the figure on the back of the box.




Comparison with S.I.C. Vol. 48 Kamen Rider Gaoh and Kintaros Imagin's box.


Kamen Rider Gaoh's box is slightly thicker than Kamen Rider Ixa's.




Comparison with S.I.C. Vol. 50 Kamen Rider Kiva's box.


A gathering of this set and the other three already reviewed S.I.C. sets, including S.I.C. Vol. 35 Kamen Rider Blade. ^^


Box open





Content on the first tray.


All the items are so well secured on the tray via string or paper tape, none of them would fall out when the tray is turned upside down. ^^


The backdrop is taped to the edges of the tray.


That's Kamen Rider Ixa's emblem on the backdrop there I think, and the red color around it is for Kamen Rider Dark Kiva?


Just like Kamen Rider Kiva, a manual is included to show how to equip the various accessories onto the two figures.








The second tray of accessories is well secured to the first one.




The figures and their main weapons on the first tray.



Option hand units, Kamen Rider Dark Kiva's capes and violin and the 12 Fuestles on the second tray.


A lot of strings that are used to hold down all the parts.



Straight out of box Kamen Rider Ixa.



Straight out of box Kamen Rider Dark Kiva.

Another very long posting about all the accessories in this S.I.C. set coming up next. ^^

No comments: