Sunday, January 4, 2015

RG 1/144 Gundam RX-78-2 Part 2

Not the start I was hoping for

First review of the year, first Gunpla work in many, many months, not a good start unfortunately. ^^;

Besides a problem I encountered with the kit itself (which I will get into in a while), all the photos I took during the work progress were gone due to the portable hard disk problem I mentioned in mid December last year. ^^; All the usual step-by-step detailing, the look of parts as they go through said detailing, pretty much everything I captured on photos as I envisioned how the review should be written was gone. ^^; As such, I had to rethink the ways to review the work progress, while thinking about which photos to retake without needing to repeat too much work at the same time. ^^;

The damage of the data loss seems particularly bad considering there were some deviations (as compared to all the other Gunpla reviews I did in the past) for this RG kit, which I will cover last as well. ^^;

Then again, the problem does present an opportunity for me to explore new ways in writing reviews. ^^ Does having fewer pictures makes reviewing the work progress easier to do but covering the same level of details as seen in previous reviews? And is it something I want to extend to other kits in the future as well? ^^ I suppose this review will serve as a pilot attempt to answer those questions. ^^

Right off the bat, something different as compared to my usual detailing work: I went ahead and assembled the left leg immediately after detailing all its parts. ^^



The curiosity in trying out the Advanced MS Joint part got the better of me and I had to try out the assembly right away to find out its special points. ^^ Many of the parts were really tiny, so I took extra care during the assembly process in fear of losing or breaking any of them. Moving the pre-assembled joint to bend the knee was quite a gut-wrenching experience. ^^ The joint felt so tough at the beginning, and I was genuinely worried it would break before the 180-degree knee bend could be achieved. Eventually, I steeled my heart and bent the knee as slowly and as steadily as I could, and a full knee bend is indeed possible with the special joint. ^^





Knee bend with sliding thigh armor action. ^^


The exposed thigh and knee sections are designed to be rather hollow it seems. ^^

While the completed leg itself turned out fine, I had problems with some of its parts and one of the Realistic Decal pieces. ^^;


The bottom knee armor parts were cracked on their surface after the leg was completed - I have no idea that caused that. ^^; The problem was worsened when the cracks took in the panel liner's ink, which helped (in a super bad way ^^;) to "highlight" the cracks.


The parts were sanded using paper file, then painted using Gaia Color Military Series No. 223 Interior Color (previously used on MG Zeta Plus A1), Gundam Marker White (mixed very lightly with gray from Gundam Marker Gray), and Gaia Color 073 Neutral Gray III (mixed very lightly with white from Gundam Marker White) for the different panel sections.


The largest crack right on top the knee cover were covered up using a red clear sticker from HGUC Zudah.


One of the bent corners of the golden Realistic Decal piece behind the knee joint came loose not too long after it was applied to the part. The problem was solved by fixing the loose corner onto the part using superglue.

The left leg is the only component I assemble so far, as I was reminded of the reason I chose to keep all detailed and painted parts of a kit for a while before returning to assemble them: some of the freshly applied panel lines get rubbed off very easily when the parts are being assembled, and I had to keep returning to some of them to reapply the details. Everything was messy to say the least. ^^;

For that matter, the detailing work starting with parts for the right leg was much closer to my usual approach in Gunpla-ing, and a lot more organized to my liking as well. ^^


The Advanced MS Joint part for the right leg.



Trying out the knee bend with just the pre-assembled frame.


All the detailed parts of the right leg.


Parts that were detailed using a combination of normal panel liner and
Tamiya's Panel Line Accent Color (Black).
For uniformity, the right knee cover (bottom left corner) was given the same red clear sticker even though there's no crack mark on it.


Sharpened toothpick was used to clean out excess panel liner paint inside the knee joint's "buttons".


Panel lining on the dark gray parts were just as hard to see during the work as they are when the work is done. ^^;


Detailing on some of the other parts that were done using normal panel liner.


Panel lining for some of the parts extend to their sides, and even to the back.

Moving on the feet and arms next. ^^

5 comments:

Mike Villarin said...

Hi Ngee Khiong, this may be unexpected, but it's Mike here from our Swinburne days (though currently you are still having your Swinburne days..hehe)

Anyway I have decided to give model kits a serious go this time since my wife gave me a Onepiece Thousand Sunny ship model kit for Christmas. Serious meaning doing the detailing and the paintjob. But it's really hard to paint specific parts and not get any paint on the sections you don't want. Does your blog currently have any posts with tips on how to do painting and also paneling? Would be pretty useful for me as I'm sick of rubbing away excess paint all the time and starting over :D

Ngee Khiong said...

Hi Mike :) Didn't expect to see you up here, but I do remember you built Gunplas back in our university days. ^^

I don't have a consolidated set of postings dedicated to my detailing and painting methods actually, mainly because I talk about them in every model kit review - the beginning portion when I work through the different parts. I would say using the last posting of those model kit reviews (those marked with the "[Final]" tags) and refer to the beginning sets of postings would be a way to find out more.

The Master Grade category would be a good place to start I suppose, mainly because the kits there are more complex and feature part design with varying levels of details.

http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/search/label/Master%20Grade

Another pretty relevant link, especially for your work on the very colorful One Piece ship model would be my review on Keropla God Keron:

http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/2014/03/keropla-god-keron-part-52-final.html

:)

Mike Villarin said...

Thanks a lot! I'll take a look then :D

Mike Villarin said...

One quick question, when you do the painting, do you use masking tape or something to cover the non painted portions? Any tips for painting super tiny details?

Ngee Khiong said...

I find masking to be more useful if the paint work involves spray can. Since I hand paint almost all my kits, I don't use masking, or at least in the way they are designed for. ^^ To paint tiny details, I often use (http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/2013/01/bb-senshi-sangokuden-asurao-moukaku_22.html), sharpened toothpick (http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/2011/06/mg-force-impulse-gundam-part-2.html), or makeshift tool that (I perceive) would be able to give me delicate paint result (http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/2012/01/mg-sinanju-ver-ka-part-7.html). ^^

Panel lining the parts to mark the separation between areas to be painted in different colors can give you useful guides in swiping paint markers if you're using those as well. http://ngeekhiongex.blogspot.com/2014/04/bb-senshi-sangokuden-kochu-gundam-part-2.html